Sunday, February 11, 2007

Chinese new year parade

With Chinese New Year looming right ahead, we thought we would get into the spirit and head out to the city to watch the parade. This is the first time EVER that we've been out for parades like this. We usually go out to Chinatown, buy our stuff and leave. But since my parents were in the mood for a bit of festivities, we might as well go see what the fuss was all about.

Despite rocking up late, I managed to edge my way to the railing to get a front row seat (I always edge my way to the front hehehe)

Year of the pig!

Dragon dancing


Tiger Zodiac

Dragon Zodiac






Miss Australia (Chinese version)


There was so much colour and noise. Float after float of colourful costumes with glitters and fur. Drums and cymbals going off left right and centre. Me, I was just being my trigger happy self:


Until I looked closer, and who should I see but my two friends Vicky and Sonya! I've known these two girls since I was 5 years old! I had a feeling they would be participating, but I didn't expect to see them, or for them to hear me screaming their names in amongst the crowds!


Rooster Zodiac

Dance performances


Dog Zodiac



After the parade was over, we decided to head over to Spice I am for lunch instead of Chinatown to avoid the crowd. Luckily we got there before the crowd hit and managed to score a table near the fan.

Chicken Chilli Jam with Cashews

Cracked rice and thai sausage salad

Fermented vermicelli and fish curry

My parents really enjoyed the Chicken Chilli Jam, but was majorly disappointed by the vermicelli. There is actually no fish with the fish curry. They literally give you the fish curry sauce. Whilst last time when we ordered a version without fish, it actually came with fish. Like what the? The salad was really nice and didn't burn our tongue off since I asked for it to be mild ;)

After eating, we strolled back to Belmore Park where the crowds have picked up significantly since we arrived. The stalls were packed with people and the air was filled with wafts of deliciously grilled meats and other goodies:


Takoyaki


Satay Sticks

Small pot plants of Bok Choy for $6 each



We used to grow these "Good fortune trees" about 10 years ago. They used to cost an arm and a leg, but my parents always thought it was well worth the money as the seed of the plant looks like a nugget of gold in the olden days. Hence it was supposed to bring luck and fortune. Go figure. But they don't last long and usually die out after 1-2 years and you would need to buy another plant.

So now we count down to the real Chinese New Year. 7 days left and then......Hong Bao!! MUahAUAHaUa

No comments: