Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Homemade Honeycomb

With the tragedies of what is happening in Haiti, me and a workmate decided to organise a morning tea at work to raise some money. Unfortunately, I was out the night before the morning tea, so I had to make sure I make something that's going to be quick and easy.

Pork and veggies wontons

Everytime we've organised a morning tea in the past, there's always more sweets than savouries. Most people bake cakes, tarts, pastries, muffins or just buy a dozen donuts. I thought it was best to make something savoury, especially since I don't have a sweet tooth. I steamed the wontons as I was hoping the pastry will stay firm overnight and won't break apart when people eat them. The whole process took me an hour, including steaming to make 2 trays of these. AND they were an absolute hit!

Whilst the wontons were steaming, I decided to give the honeycomb recipe another go. I made honeycomb before, but the instructions weren't clear and all I ended up with was a big blob of sticky chewy stuff. This time, I was determined to conquer the honeycomb recipe!

Batch 1

I didn't have the proper equipment ready when I made the first batch and it looks like a pile of puke! Thinking it was a complete disaster, I tried a second batch.

Batch 2 - Looks slightly better

The honeycomb looks absolutely horrible!! Didn't help that it was humid and the outside was starting to melt slightly. I decided to cut it up to see what its like on the inside anyway.

Cross section

OMG... it actually looks like honeycomb! Except......the outside is melting and becoming sticky! How do I salvage this situation!? At the rate its going, it's not going to make it overnight for the morning tea.

So I did what was only logical, and coated everything in chocolate!


Because you know......chocolate solves everything! hahaha

The final product

OMG...it actually looks a bit like a violet crumble! hehehe It tasted pretty damn fine as well! The main criticism would be I didn't stir in the bi-carb soda properly, so every now and then you'll find a pocket of that nasty stuff. Also, I need to figure out how to stop the damn thing from melting! But these were gobbled up by my workmates and they've requested more! MORE!!!

I will need to experiment with the recipes a bit more before posting the recipe up. :)

2 comments:

Two fit and fun gals said...

good work! hehe :)

SoRMuiJAi said...

hehe thanks! I never knew it was so easy to make!! Just got to refine the recipe now ;)